Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Princess of Mars


Today I finished A Princess of Mars, the first book in the John Carter of Mars series.  For a book written in 1917, it's way ahead of its time.  John Carter, our hero, finds himself on Mars and immediately proceeds to start kicking ass.  He kicks ass left and right throughout the entire book, and when he's done kicking ass, he kicks a little more.  And ends up with the girl -- of course.

The story moved along pretty evenly, but then I realized I only had about fourteen pages left.  I said to myself, "There's no way in hell this is going to be wrapped up that quickly."  I started to worry.  But then sure enough, a whole bunch of shit happens in the last few pages.  Definitely a great action-packed read, and I highly recommend it.  It's written in that flowery Progressive Era language, which takes some getting used to, but I love how 'proper' it is.  It was a nice change from the norm.

I gotta say, I really can't wait to see the movie.  Willem Dafoe (whom I love) is playing one of my favorite characters in the book, Tars Tarkas.  Don't let me down, Disney!

No comments:

Post a Comment